Sunrise on Keweenaw Bay

Sunrise on Keweenaw Bay

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Blowing on sparks....

"Fan into a flame the gift that God gave you when I laid my hands on you. God's gift was not a spirit of timidity, but the Spirit of power, and love, and self-control." 
2 Timothy 1:6-7
 This is the scriptural passage I chose to put on my ordination prayer card.  I think it's a marvelous image for spiritual reflection... I know as an Eagle Scout and pyro it certainly speaks to my heart! There's a visceral sense of contentment and achievement and even joy when you blow gently and steadily on a smoldering little almost-fire and feel and hear and smell it grow into a merrily burning blaze, or even a bonified bonfire.

I'm coming up on celebrating one year of priesthood in a week, and what a year it's been!  Very full, very challenging, very joyful.  I like that quote even more now than when I chose it.  There are SO many challenges that the Church faces in our increasingly broken and hostile world.  There are SO many challenges each one of us faces as we try to hear and respond to the Lord's beguiling whisper in our hearts.  And, at the same time, there are far more sparks of the Holy Spirit in hearts and minds, just waiting to be gently blown into a blaze. 

What could be more fascinating than the care of souls?  To be entrusted with shepherding and encouraging and challenging and cajoling God's adopted sons and daughters, one's own brothers and sisters in Christ!  It is a fearful and joyful and awesome thing.  I've just been given the tiniest taste of it in this first year, perhaps even a hearty helping, as I prefer.

And, at the same time, one's own soul is to be shepherded.  To go within and encounter the Lord of Heaven and Earth... to be docile and listening and open in the midst of many duties and responsibilities, each one of them sacred, and at the same time, potentially, an obstacle to hearing the Lord's voice. 

And what an arsenal!  What tools, what means of grace!  The big guns: Confession, the Eucharist, Prayer!  So many saints and angels, such a cloud of witnesses and examples!

God, Father of Heaven and Earth, I thank you and praise you and glorify your name for the gift of your Son, Jesus Christ, for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and for your call to me, and to all your sons and daughters.  Set us ablaze with love for You and for one another.  Help us to see the sparks of life and love in the midst of storms, and darkness, and confusion. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment