Sunrise on Keweenaw Bay

Sunrise on Keweenaw Bay

Monday, January 17, 2011

Who me? How? Prayer

Homily outline for the Second Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A

In the Old Testament, we hear a lot about the people of Israel, their journey of being called by the Lord, of turning away from the Lord. They are obedient at times, and also idolatrous. They are sent into exile weeping, and brought home rejoicing.

The Old Testament tells us of this journey, and we see it fulfilled in Christ. It gives us Salvation History… the history of God bringing about our Salvation. This is one way of reading it. However, there is another way of reading the Old Testament… we can look beyond the history, and in the people of Israel we can see God’s Church, and even our own soul. If you’re reading a passage of the Old Testament, try interpreting it this way!

Let’s look at our reading from Isaiah in this light: “The LORD said to me: You are my servant, Israel, through whom I show my glory.” These aren’t just words to a Jewish Prophet 2500 years ago! These words are spoken to each one of us… God desires to show His Glory through us! “Now the Lord has spoken who formed me as his servant from the womb….and I am made gloriosu in the sight of the LORD, and my god is now my strength!” From before our birth God has loved each one of us personally, chosen us brought us into existence. We have been given so much… the very breath of life, our families, the Word of God, the Sacraments. This parish family is a gift to us, this church started by our grandparents and parents. Some of you, like me, have no family connection to this parish, at least by blood, but are given this gift by the family of faith. The very liturgy we celebrate is a precious gift handed down to us through many generations, often at a great price.

The formation and call God gave to Isaiah was not just to build up those already part of the family of God… it wasn’t just repair and maintenance! Listen to the last verse: “It is too little, the LORD says, for you to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel: I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”

Here is the big step, the challenge… here I think every one of us here tonight should get a little uncomfortable, a little unsure of ourselves! Our plans for ourselves are almost always too small, to limited. God has a big beautiful plan for each of us, just as He had for the prophet Isaiah, and it’s not just about the status quo, treading water, maintenance.

What is our mission as sons and daughters of God? It is just this mission of Christ, of Isaiah: to be a light to the nations, to bring Jesus’ salvation to the ENDS OF THE EARTH… or even to the ends of Marquette. There is a LOT of work to be done! On any given Sunday, here at St. Michael’s, and at most of the parishes in our country, less than 30% of the registered parisioners make it to Mass… That’s not a good figure! And that’s just the people who are still signed up! As Catholics, we’re the biggest organized denomination in the country… the next biggest group is former Catholics! I haven’t even mentioned all the folks who are relatively unafiliated!

Now, part of the job is mine as a priest… part of the job is for our wonderful parish staff. BUT… we can’t do even a small fraction of the inviting that needs to be done. Start making a list in your head… how many spouses, children, parents, aunts and uncles, grandchildren, neighbors, co-workers should be with us here right now? This IS NOT SOMEONE ELSES RESPONSIBILITY! LET ME REPEAT!

John the Baptist said, “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.” Jesus comes to us not because we’re perfect, not because we’re worthy, but because we need his help. In that light, everyone of us can speak of Jesus, precisely because we need him too! Paul addresses the Christians of the parish in Corinth: “to you who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy… Notice he doesn’t say, you who are ALREADY HOLY! Called to be Holy!… Again, that’s us!

So how are we to hear this call? It’s very simple, but hard for us to do… we have to pray, and ask God to guide us. I suspect most of us are busy, and at the same time, have felt a little nudge from time to time inviting us to deeper prayer. I want to give you one very practical, very achievable challenge tonight. When you leave Mass you’ll find a little prayer sheet on the marble font with a short prayer called a Morning Offering… it’s a way of consecrating and offering the joys and sorrows of each day to the Lord as it begins. If you dare, try praying that every morning! I know God is calling each one of us to be apostles, to bring the Light of Christ to all nations… and if we speak to the Lord each day… He will begin to guide us!

This is simple, but it’s also dangerous! What might God ask of me, of you? But it is clearly what the Lord is calling us to. The Gospel is not a secret berry patch, it’s not the special spot where we find morel mushrooms… we don’t lose it if we share it… quite the contrary… we lose it if we don’t share it! May we share it with joy today!

+  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  

 Morning Offering Prayer:

Eternal Father, I offer You everything I do this day:
my work, my prayers, my apostolic efforts;
my time with family and friends;
my hours of relaxation; my difficulties, problems, distress,
which I shall try to bear with patience.

Join these, my gifts, to the unique offering which Jesus Christ, Your Son,
renews today in the Eucharist.
Grant, I pray, that, vivified by the Holy Spirit
and united to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
my life this day may be of service to you
and your children and help consecrate the world to you. Amen.





More on this spirituality:
A Simple, Profound, Way of Life: The Apostleship of Prayer






No comments:

Post a Comment